Photobucket

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What Closet?

I'm a 1990's kid, and during that time, no one was gay in my world. Everyone was straight. And if you were gay, you weren't "normal". So then what is normal?
I was gay my entire life. I know that for a fact.
Now that I think about it, I was basically living a lie during those years. I had to act completely masculine around my friends and even my family.
I mean c'mon, I always wanted to hang out with my girl cousins more than the boys. I wasn't into any type of sports. I enjoyed playing with my sister's Easy Bake Oven for crying out loud. How could they not tell?
16 years 
That's how long I waited to "come out".
I didn't even plan on it happening then but I'm kind of glad it did.
I invited a boy over, his name was Anthony.
He was more open with his sexuality than I was so you can tell he was gay.
But I invited him over by lying to my mom saying him AND my best friend Mercedes were coming over.
So we hung out for a bit and when he left, this is what happened:

Mom: "Is he gay?"
Me: "...yeah. Why?"
Mom: "Oh. You should start inviting girls over so people don't think you're gay."
Me: "Ok mom"

I really didn't pay any mind to what she said, cause like I said; I wasn't planning on telling her anytime soon.
I headed to the bathroom to take a shower.
I brought my phone in with me so I can call my friend Stephanie who convinced me to hang out with that boy. As I was talking to her the shower was on. 
My mom knocks on the bathroom door saying, "Who are you talking to"?
I told her Stephanie.
She said, "When you're done with your shower, we need to have a talk."
I assumed she had her head on the door to listen to what I was saying.
So when I finished taking the longest shower ever, I take my time getting dressed putting my pj's on.
I go into the living room, and my mom was crying.
I definitely knew she knew my secret.

Mom: "Kyle do you like boys?"
Kyle: "Yes"
Mom: "Are you sure? Are you sure you're not in a phase or confused?"
Kyle: "I like boys."
Mom: "Do you know how many people get hurt and killed for being gay? I hope you're not going out in public and kissing guys."

I just kept silent. That was NOT how I intended me coming out to my Mother would be like. 
I wanted her to be happy. I wanted her to feel that I do not have to keep secrets from her anymore.
Why was she pointing out all of the negatives? She also mentioned the whole "What about grandchildren?"
If I wanted to I can adopt, or give sperm to someone who would carry my child.
Again, why the negatives?
I think my mother was the hardest person I came out to.
Even though she made me come out to the rest of the family, they didn't really take it how my mom did.
Don't get me wrong I love my mother to death and I know she loves me just as much.
Years flew by and things got better.
So now that I'm 19 years old, I am out and about :)
I don't tell people I'm gay once I meet them. If we were bound to be friends then my sexuality should have nothing to do with our friendship. 
So I guess I can say I'm out the closet?



1 comment:

  1. Kyle, that is a very brave and standup thing to do. I cant imagine how it felt to know that your mother was questioning your sexuality and scared for you. The important thing you have to know is that your a human being and it doesn't matter what sexuality you are, it matter who you are as person. I was raised to like everyone it doesn't matter what race , gender, or sexuality. I know that there are a lot of IGNORANT people in this world and some if them unfortunately will never change. You just have to find positive people in your life that like you for you, and that don't care about insignificant things. I know that i could care less, and by you opening up i know you are a pretty cool guy.

    ReplyDelete